Saturday, December 29, 2007

Looking back

We are at the end of 2007 and about to ring in 2008. Its interesting to reflect on what was most significant about 2007. I was at CES in January 2007 and the buzz about the Apple iPhone was rising to a crescendo. Apple had little to no presence at CES in 2007 and instead chose to deliver their message from MacWorld in San Francisco. For me, it was amusing that the most significant technology product was launched right here in Cupertino, while I chose to travel to Las Vegas to see what was hot at CES :-). I have decided that this year I will not head to CES in case I miss something as significant in the Valley. :-) Its interesting to compare some predictions on wireless, at the beginning of the year, from some leading VCs, to what happened in reality. As one of the panelists pointed out then, "VCs are often wrong, but never in doubt" :-)

In any case, it turned out to be a very significant year for Apple. Apple stock is on a tear and the impact of the iPhone will be felt for years to come. The Mercury News rightly says that they have transformed the mobile phone industry. The next few years will see Apple setting the pace and the rest of the industry trying to catch up, much as they did with the iPod.

In April, I wrote about location based services and their promise. I was disappointed they did not take off in a big way in 2007. I think that this will be corrected in 2008, perhaps again with Apple leading the way ?

The other big technology trend in 2007 was the push behind Clean Tech, and Solar energy in particular. As we got close to the end the year, we saw NanoSolar announce production shipments and Ausra announce a contract with PG&E. I am sure this is just the beginning of an explosion of activity in clean tech in the years to come, with the Valley driving innovation again.

In a few days, I will share some of my predictions for technology trends in 2008. Till then, happy holidays and a great New Year to everyone.

Madan

No comments:

 

© 2007, 2008 Madan Venugopal    All rights reserved.